Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

endo's 1989 Suzuki GSX-R7/11 - Currently Un-named

141K views 375 replies 75 participants last post by  endo 
#1 ·
Alright, I caved in...
I was not going to enter this build because I didn't want to be under a time constraint with this build. I have a lot going on personally and professionally and knowing how stressful the next 6 months are going to be with the race team, work, a wedding to plan (and attend I suppose), I really didn't want to do this to myself...

But, common sense (!) prevailed---so here's what I have. I suck at photoshop so I can't even give you a visual idea of what I have planned, but here we go--

All I currently have ownership of for this build is pictured. I have -
1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Frame
1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Engine
03-04 Kawasaki Z1000 headlight fairing (from j.gaught)
2000 Suzuki GSX-R750 Forks and Triple Clamps
LSL Superbike Lowbars (from Smokey74)
Billet Risers (taken from my old crashed pitbike)
1990 Honda VFR750 Single Sided Swingarm (and peripherals)
- en route is a Buell XB front rim with perimeter disc setup (thx to Scrapyard)

Input would be appreciated as far as bellypans go. I have already selected a tail section but I have no idea where to get a nice bellypan and/or what style/look. Input appreciated!

Here's pics (thanks to my lovely fiancee for taking the pics, and for convincing me to do this...yes, she's the one who got me to enter)

AND to prove that it is currently a 748cc mill ----

Consider me entered--->now let's hope I finish!

See less See more
#2 ·
Jan. 2

Alright, so head out to the garage tonight to see what I can accomplish with no running gear, engine, etc....

Well, let's see how bad this swingarm is going to be. Offer it up, as is, with all the stock spacers/bushings, etc. No go, too wide. Remove the spacer/bushing bits and...well, well, well---I'll be damned if it didn't just slot right in there. Sweet, first issue down, verified that the swingarm is narrow enough to fit between the frame rails in the first place! Now, how far out is the chain alignment--grab an old chain from the shelf...you tell me...

So, while it's not a bolt in setup, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Very little milling will need to be done, and this will be for proper spacing with bushings and the like. And FYI, a 1990 VFR750 and 1989 GSXR750 have the same swingarm pivot size :D. Found that out by accident. The hard part of this setup (as has been stated before) will be an upper shock mount as the VFR shock is off centered. This still shouldn't be too too bad, I think I've figured out a way to make a removable mount (like the stock one) that's simply offset. We'll see how it works out.

Oh, and Scraps, you aren't alone...I too found a snapped off bolt in the shock mount :mad:

A few more pics of the mock(ery) up.

Okay, enough of that, the measurements hurt my head---time to wreck something...

Hey, what's this box?

Oh, it's my Christmas present from my little brother and his lovely lady!

CIAO!

tada, I'm done for the night.

#3 ·
Shock mount was already off when I bought it. I just noticed that the bastard was snapped off the other day. I have an engine to put together tomorrow for something else (to get it outta my way), and then I may have a go at it....we'll see...

#4 ·
Didn't accomplish anything in the last few days what with working the motorcycle show and all...except for some PIMP ideas...

I don't know if I should share this, but I did a really bad photoshop for some i-dee-ers...and no, there's no turbo in the plan :D It's just a good profile shot.

#5 ·
Got some motivation tonight...I don't know how much I wanna spill, but I just picked up my donor bike, avec engine. It was once a 1052cc. I'll leave it at that for now.

#8 ·
Re: endo's 1989 Suzuki GSX-R7/11 - Currently Un-named Discussion Thread

Either an Enkei EVO-6 or TSW Catalunya...I'm getting an EVO-6 I think (it's a toss up), but couldn't find a good pic for pshop

#9 ·
Alright, since I have no actual structural updates, I'll share info---OHLINS!

Still waiting on some parts so that I can get my front end together, stupid postal service!

Did some measuring on this VFR arm and it appears that no machining will need to be done to the arm, only bushing/spacers made up. There's about 3mm on either side of the swingarm to fill and everything should line up.

My original plans to use the VFR suspension were changed, because I have a 94-97 arm, and the shock/linkages I have are from a 90-94---completely different. And because of that I figured, if I have to do a shitload of work to make a stock VFR shock fit, why not find something cool? Well, I have 2 ZX11's in my garage that belong to a friend, and he's parting them out. One has an Ohlins shock with remote reservoir and adjuster and we made a deal that has me parting the bikes for him and me keeping a few items, the shock being the key. So basically, through some fluky coincidence, I'm getting an Ohlins shock for free :rock::rock::rock:

I was going to visit the bike wreckers yesterday but it snowed 4 inches and it was -20C so I didn't...wussed out :D

Lastly, I've decided 100% which tail I'm using. I love the tail I photoshopped (from Tyga Bodywork), but it's more than I'd like to spend. I'm now going with a Ducati 749/999 monoposto tail section.

Can't think of anything else productive to add at the moment, this is killing me!

#11 ·

That's part of the kink in my plans...while I can ogle/measure/plan stuff off the donor bike, I can't actually get into it until my GSXR sells. The owner of the Katana let me pick it up, but we agreed that I won't tear it apart until there's at least an agreed upon deposit or full sale. That's the least of my worries at the moment. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some stuff done to clear some room (I'd like to tear down these ZX11s tomorrow) and get that Ohlins shock out. Also, if I get some time, I'll type up the speclist on the engine...

#13 ·

Yeah it blows....but hopefully I get mail tomorrow lol...then I can have a rolling chassis to mess with

#15 ·

so since you said your gettin a duc tailsection does that mean your getting parts thru them? because i might still be interested in what i originally inquired to you about....

;)

#16 ·

You are huh, well unfortunately the pricing hasn't changed :( I'm probably gonna end up going ebay for the seat. My boss has a subframe at work (which I'd have to mod anyways) and for the mono tail section, I'll probably just get race plastics. But let me know.

#17 ·
Okay, time to let the cat out of the bag. The powerplant for this bike is a good one :D It was built by my good friend Jody Hovey, with almost all of the machining done by Joe Haseloh of RPM Services LTD in Okotoks, Alberta. Total in reciepts is just about $10,000. I bought the complete donor bike for $4500. By the time it's all said and done, the engine should cost me about $2500-$3000 but that's up in the air until things start to sell.

1988 GSX-R1100

Wiseco 1109cc Big Bore Kit
Block resleeved and overbored
Custom welded/grounded cams (Colt Cams)
Head Milled 0.020”
Competition 4 Angle Valve Seat Cut
Sims & Rohm Aluminum Valve Cover Bolts
Bead Blasted & Cleaned Ports
Tsubaki Cam Chain
APE Slotted Cam Sprockets
APE Valve Springs
APE Bronze Valve Guides
APE Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
PM Stainless Valves
Dyna 2000 Ignition
Dyna 4000 2 Stage Rev Limiter
Dyna Shift Light
Orient Express Undercut Transmission Gears (5/2 & 1/4)
Crankshaft lightened, balanced, and edges rounded
Heavy Duty Engine Covers
Mikuni RS38 Radial Slide Smoothbore (Flatslide) Carburetors
Barnett Heavy Duty Clutch Plates and Springs
Cable Actuated Clutch Conversion
Holley NOS Nitrous Oxide Direct Port Fogger System
Holley Pressure Regulator
NOS Nitrous Gauge
NOS Purge Adaptor
K&N Open Filters
K&N Crankcase Breather

Everything else inside the engine is brand new as well---no point in putting that much work into an engine just to reuse gaskets and bearings. This includes things like bearings, gaskets, seals, shift shaft, clutch pushrod, con rod bolts, valve tappet adjusters, valve tappets, oil pump, etc.

For exhaust I’m unsure. I have a Vance & Hines Pro Super Sport 4-1 System, as well as a Yoshimura Duplex System. I may just go custom, but I have options.

The old setup was shown to run 161.9 HP with 113.6 lb/ft of torque. At this point, the engine was Basically stock with a 40 shot. With the new setup, all the internal work and the planned 40 shot, your guess is as good as mine, but I’m looking forward to seeing what happens. In its current state the bike has only traveled about 3000kms, so it’s just broken in. I have to replace the valve guide seals myself, and a couple other bits, but with any luck, she could be installed and getting tuned by the end of February, or early March *crosses fingers*.

#18 ·
First off, pics this weekend :D
Second, Scrapyard is my hero :D

Parts arrived today. Got the Buell from rim, disc, caliper, and M/C as well as the '89 GSXR lower triple tree and steering stem. I only bought this for the steering stem, as I was going to have it fitted to the '00 GSXR clamp set (I still might), but for shits and giggles I tried it, and fuck yeah, the fork tubes are the same size. The top clamps might be different, but the lowers are the same. I have some thinking to do on it, but BritJoe might be coming over for a beer or something tomorrow. Anyone know the diameter of the top of a fork on an '89 GSXR 750?

Ohlins shock is finally out of the donor bike, and although it's as dirty as shit in a diaper, it's in good shape and again, fluke, the top shock mount is the exact same size as the stock '89 GSXR.

I'm the luckiest SOB in the world right now with how things are going...all I have to ponder is when my luck is gonna end and when reality will kick me in the nads.

#21 ·

I put my fork legs into your lower clamp and they fit nice, but the 00 top triple won't fit (not surprised there). Spacing is just a bit off. I figured if I fluke out and the 89 top clamp would fit, I'd be super happy, if not I simply do as planned and put the 89 stem into the '00 lower triple.

#23 ·

oh my....the whole setup is in my car right now, hoping to hit up one of the local wreckers tomorrow :D

#25 ·

Damn here I am hunting for a single sides swing arm for my bike & there you are playing with 2 of em! You are a lucky fuck ... btw I dont hate you.. i just hate that you have a 7/11 to play with.. Good luck man wouldnt be surpised if you end up winning for the 08 Build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.